Make A Great Impression In The Courtroom

Make A Great Impression In The Courtroom

Entering A Different Country With A Criminal Conviction?

by Richard Ramirez

After having a criminal charge in your record, travel can be difficult. Even if you have been paroled and are eligible to travel around the United States, visiting other countries can be a problem. Many countries have strict rules about people with criminal charges entering their country. However, if you really wish to travel and are willing to take the necessary steps, there are some options, depending on your situation.

Temporary Resident Permit

Your first option is a temporary resident permit, or TRP. This is a permit that allows people that would have convictions to enter a different country for a specific length of time. This visa is only good for the duration of your stay in the country, be it for a day or a week. This is contingent on the type of crime that you were convicted of, as well as your reasoning for being in the country, such as work-related reasons. More often than not, if you are trying to enter another country for work-related reasons your company will vet you and it will be simpler. Entering on your own for pleasure reasons may not be valid enough to get a TRP. 


The second option is a pardon. A pardon is a piece of paper that effectively clears your record. This will allow you to look like any other person attempting to enter a different country, and you should have no problem entering or leaving. However, it does not clear the record of you trying to enter a different country. So, if you have tried to enter another country without a pardon and have been refused, that will be noted on your record even with the pardon. If this is the case, make sure you have your official documentation to prove your pardon.

Criminal Rehabilitation

If your conviction is more than five years old, as long as you have had no trouble with the law since, you can apply for criminal rehabilitation. This is a certificate that will completely clear your criminal inadmissibility and allow you to enter a country as if you never had a criminal record. This shows that you are unlikely to commit new crimes and are therefore rehabilitated.

In all of these cases, you have to show that you are not a threat to the country that you are intending to enter. You have to be able to show growth, and that you have moved on in a positive way from your conviction. In all these cases as well, you would be advised to talk to a criminal attorney like Begley Carlin & Mandio LLP about your availability in each of these cases, and see which option fits you the best.


About Me

Make A Great Impression In The Courtroom

Hello, I'm Phillip Kerr and I just love the legal profession and courtroom drama. Have you ever watched judge shows on TV? I know that these shows are not an accurate representation of the courtroom, but there is something you may have noticed. Some individuals come into the courtroom well-dressed, articulate, respectful and with the knowledge and documents necessary to support a case, while others come unprepared, slovenly dressed and appear as if they do not have a care in the world. How you present yourself and the knowledge that you have of the law will have an impact on how you are treated, even if you have legal representation. This blog is designed to assist those who are going to trial in doing just that.